Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Time to bang on the truck....

Lately I have had so much on my mind, and so much in my life, and way too much to do. So, I really enjoyed church yesterday because we had a great lesson about priorities and balance in our lives and how that affects our families. Our friend, Seth, gave the lesson and did a great job. He used the jar filled with rocks and rice. I've seen that before...but he took it a couple of steps further which really made me think. He made the point that we can't wait until all the little things (rice) are done and then think there is time and room for all the big things (rocks). That part I understood. But then, he said, that sometimes, no matter how hard we try, we just can't fit in all the things we'd like to. At that point.....we just have to resolve to do less. (Really?? We can DO that?) And his last point was different than anything I'd heard about the rocks and rice before. I have usually heard, do the big things first (rocks) and then there will be plenty of room for the little things (rice). But, Seth said, balance, balance, balance. Make a plan and stick to it. Make room for the big things...interspersed with the little things...and all will fit. Cool. But it was the point about sometimes we just have to do less that really stuck with me.
Because lately....I feel like I'm driving through life in a one ton panel truck, but am carrying two tons of birds in that truck. So....every little while....I've got to get out of my truck and bang on the sides....to keep at least half of those birdies flapping in the air, because if they all land at the same time, my truck is going to bust an axle.
Another analogy (humor me, ok?) Have you ever felt like your day was like one of the little silver balls in a game of pinball? You've got to make it jump all around, for as long as you can, hitting the important things, before that little guy disappears down the drain. Every morning, I pull back on the plunger and put that little ball into play. It goes straight while traveling down the launch lane...but then...even if I have a plan...it seems to have a mind of its own. I'm hitting the flippers like crazy, and that little ball is all over the place. Where's Tommy when you need him? "Who?" you ask. (OK...that was two references for anyone who remembers 1969-1974) Yep....my own little Pinball Wizard.
Maybe I should leave the darn bird truck and go looking for Tommy. Or dump some of the rice. Whatever. I will figure it out.....hopefully before I'm sitting at the side of the road, with a broken axle and covered with bird poo.


2 comments:

Jette said...

WOW!!! Very powerful words.

The Katzbox said...

I remember Tommy...sometimes I feel like I've chucked it all and become the Acid Queen (Tina Turner)...but not really...just kinda sorta tempted. Interesting take on the rock/sand metaphor. I'm sure it was an engaging class. And can I just tell you how much I'm enjoying the image of you herding birds and covered in axle grease....priceless.