Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Some late night reading with Josh....

I am finally going to bed. My plan was to hit the sack rather early tonight. I'm trying hard to exercise some each day, even if it's just gardening and puttering around the yard. I am also making sure I''m eating mostly healthy foods including skim milk and fresh fruit and veggies. Part of the plan is to get a little more rest, too. Also, I'm popping some potassium, calcium, and a JuicePlus capsule that Deb C. says will hit my circulatory system. (in good ways). I figure that if I have to keep having blood transfusions and they're not sure why, I might as well try and do my part to be healthier. The part of this plan I'm having the most difficult time with is the "more rest". I just have too much I want to do. For example.....tonight I was just about ready to go to bed, but thought I'd put another load in the wash. (We had stripped some of the beds today) I was in the utility room when Josh said, "Hey, Mom....wanna help me put sheets on my bed?" "Sure." "Wanna read in my room?" (ears perk up) "Read?.....sure!" So...after helping him put his "formula" of six different sheets/mattress pads, etc. on his bed in a particular order (he says it makes it perfectly comfortable.......I say it makes for a lot of laundry), we settle in to read.

We have this thing down. We've been doing it since he was just a little guy. Back then, he'd climb up on my bed and we'd read together. He would listen to me read whatever book he had picked out with great interest and attention. It was great, because with him being the youngest of six, it was a quiet time I could spend with just Josh....(not to mention the fact that I could lay down!) This has gone on ever since.....sometimes we'd read almost every night....but lately, it's every 3 weeks or so. Nowadays I get comfy in the overstuffed old chair in the corner of his room, then he covers me up because I'm always cold and fixes the lamp so I can see my book. Then he climbs in his bed, covers up with his down comforter, calls Sloopy to jump up on the bed with him....and then....all is quiet. We just enjoy being together, each reading silently. Every once in awhile, he'll say something about something....and we will talk a little. Or a lot. And sometimes, there's that moment....late at night, when I get the tidbits. The stuff you have to listen hard to hear. Especially when your son is almost 14. And then, sometime later, we are both nodding off, and I know it's time to come upstairs, and wait for the next time.
And I'll be ready, Josh....no matter what time it is.

4 comments:

Jette said...

I always love reading with my kids. They get so big very quickly. I remember when my kids couldn't do anything on there own, now they want to everything on their own. It can get quite depressing at times. But you just remember to cherish every moment you have with them. Then when they are all grown up you can tell the most embarrassing stories to their dates. That is what I'm waiting for. lol

The Katzbox said...

Yikes Diane...I remember when Meggie was 3...3!!!! Josh sounds great and your relationship sounds wonderful. You are eternally searching for an early bedtime. ETERNALLY. You have been doing that since Laurie was born. Laundry will always be there my friend, hasn't experience taught us that? Bravo on leaving it all and reading with your son....Bravo!!!

dubby said...

I call Gail every night at 9:00 to tell her to GO TO BED because, at 90, she can't do it on her own without being told to. She putters. I call at 9, but she is never in bed before 10, but it USED to be 2-3 so she is happy. The laundry was superfluous, but the Josh time, now THAT is worth staying up. And you probably had better quality sleep after that anyway.

Jessica said...

you guys have always made time to have your "reading dates". i think it is so adorable and i hope to do the same thing with noah. love you!