Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Pumping Iron

Yesterday, I saw Dr. Brian Robinson, a hemotologist at the RMH Cancer Center. The goal was to find out why I keep losing so much blood and why I keep needing so many transfusions. The surgeon sent me there to make sure I was producing red blood cells. He wants to make sure before he does surgery.
Well, I loved Dr. Robinson. Kelly and I were there for about four hours. They took blood, evaluated it, and then he looked at it under the microscope. We got quite the health lesson. What it boils down to, though, is he wants me to go ahead with the surgery, but make sure I am pumped up with blood and iron beforehand, then they will evaluate more afterwards. He showed Kelly and I pictures of my "innards" and explained how serious this is that I get this fixed. He called the pictures "impressive". Interesting word, I thought. Glad my innards can impress somebody. :)
So....as part of yesterday's visit, I sat in the Cancer Chemo Center, and got an IV of iron. Rust being put directly into my vein, it seemed like. They gave me a bunch of Benadryl and hydrocortisone to help with any reaction, since I had a reaction when I had four of these infusions last year. After a number of sticks, the IV was finally started. I am constantly amazed at the miracles of modern medicine and grateful that I live in this day and age. As I sat there, there were others in the same room, receiving treatments. I wondered about their stories, and prayed that they would feel hope and comfort. The nurses were so kind to everyone. Afterwards, I was pretty tired from the medicine. But, I'll be feeling great with all this blood and iron I've been getting. I just have to stop losing it....and I think we are on our way. Also, my red blood cells are teeny-tiny, he said. So....we need to pump them up. Those little boogers like their iron, I guess.
I saw an associate of ours there. We haven't seen her for awhile and she was diagnosed with cancer in May and is going through treatment. It was nice talking with her and I will pray for her. I also saw Mallory there, who is studying to be a nurse. She was compassionate and sweet. She is Ben William's girlfriend, and it was great to see her.
And how grateful I am for all those who have been praying for me. I have the absolute best family and friends. Thanks, y'all!

3 comments:

dubby said...

Why don't you just add a couple of nails to your diet with dinner each night? Don't forget Vitamin C helps the iron to fixate correctly.

Jette said...

I'm so sad that you don't feel good. I hope you feel better real soon. What is going on anyway? Remember, I just started this whole thing and have no idea why you need all these things. My love and prayers are with you. Love you Mamma D!

The Katzbox said...

Let's see...I received two of those iron infusions with the Benadryl and so far so good...BIG SHOUT OUT TO BLOOD DONORS!!! My problem is I don't make intrinsic factor so I may as well swallow pebbles as much as iron tablets...what's your deal kiddo? Have fun with your new iron. Iffin you suck on a pipe and carry a can o'spinach, you can be Popeye...or maybe "Popette". Good luck and please blog ASAP