Monday, July 23, 2007

OK, I admit it......I love this old coot.


Happy Birthday to Kelly!
It was on the 20th and I missed it because I was in North Carolina, so he waited until yesterday to open presents. I thought I'd put up this picture from a while ago and acknowledge the big day.
54 years old! (are we officially old now?)
Right now, I hear him tinkering away in the hall bathroom. Well, I guess it's more than "tinkering". He has the toilet completely apart. Not sure what will come of that....but he gets points for trying. Also, in the last week, among other things, he helped me at the treatment center and was very supportive and patient, he was lots of fun as we drove to Scout Camp and then he helped me with my 30 minute nose bleed. (Yeah, THAT was fun....and perhaps needs its very own blog) He worked on my van because it's been running so badly. He put in new plugs and wires one night (with the help of a great friend and his lit-up garage) He also put new brake pads on it very early one morning. He took care of things while I was gone for a few days and he took care of the dogs a lot since Josh has been away. He worked in the yard...mowing, trimming and hauling branches AND made sure the yellow squash and zucchini got into the house before they grew as big as "Bam-Bam's bat". (that's a Flintstones reference for you young'ns out there) Oh, and he has been working long, long hours trying to make ends meet. Through it all, he smiles, he jokes around, and he is always ready to help. I am grateful for my husband. This last year has been really rough...in lots of ways...but his determination has never wavered. He has his own health battles he fights every day but he is a strong, faithful, loving man and I feel blessed to be his wife. I think we have grown to know that we are both just doing our very best and everyone needs a soft place to land. And that place should be home.

7 comments:

Queen Karana said...

I love this post. You and Kelly are so sweet... and what you have to say about him is wonderful. I love Michael (of course), but I hope some day our love is as obvious as yours is.

Diane said...

Karen...
thanks so much! Marriage is definitely a ride, isn't it?? Ups and downs, twists and turns. But it's so great to be able to remember the ride together, isn't it?
take care!

Jette said...

Happy Birthday Kelly!!!! Wish ya'll nothing but the best, now and in the future. And no you are NOT old yet. You have to reach 100 to be old. Just ask my grandma. Love ya.

My Life, as it goes on! said...

So I am a horrible adopted son! Happy Belated Birthday Kelly. You two are truley an amazing couple...I hope that one day I can have the same! I love you both very much and can't thank you enough for being parents for me while I was in WVa and VA.

dubby said...

Yup, you're old.

Happy Birthday. And yes, he is amazing.

Jessica said...

what's a "coot" ??

Diane said...

Jess...
For your vocabulary pleasure (AND since you know your dad so well...I'm sure you'll understand) :)

2 results for: coot

1-2 of 2 results

V
Main Entry: aged
Definition: old
Synonyms: age-old, ancient, antediluvian, antiquated, antique, been around*, biddy, coot, creaky*, elderly, getting on*, gone, gray, hag, hairy, moth-eaten*, oldie*, passé, relic, rusty*, senescent, shot*, timeworn, venerable, worn