Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Pop vs. Soda......Which are you?

Came across this in AOL Food....thought it was interesting. So...I copied and pasted. And, by the way....."pop" is the correct choice.

From AOL:
Pop -- Culturally

Q: A man sits down in a diner and orders a soda. What's getting poured in his glass?

A: Depends on where he's sitting -- regionally-speaking, that is.

My brother-in-law was born and raised in North Carolina, where asking for a "co-cola" will get you a bubbly cola drink -- probably a Pepsi. That same request once netted him a blank stare from a New York City waitress, until my husband translated, "He'd like a soda, please." Had my aunt from Ohio been at the table, she'd have requested a "pop", and my college pal from Boston would have put in her order for a "tonic".

While cola (defined as a beverage or a drink made with caramel, and carbonated water) has enjoyed nationwide popularity since its invention in the 1880s, we certainly haven't reached a consensus on what to call it. Growing up in Northern Kentucky, "soft-drink" would get me a Coke, Pepsi, or the occasional RC Cola, but later caused my East Coast college friends to roll their eyes with an apologetic, "She means soda." Back home, that would have meant I wanted a Sprite or 7UP, but I learned to adapt.

Now in my eleventh year of Brooklyn life, I'll ask for a Diet Coke at a local diner, half the time be asked if Diet Pepsi is OK (yeah, sure -- I need my caffeine either way), and the vast majority of the time will be presented with a cold can, an ice-filled glass and a slice of lemon. Goodness knows what I'd get if I ordered a glass of "dope", like my friend's grandfather in Southern Kentucky, but I just might try to find out.

Add your two cents to the great pop vs soda debate, or just see how your state's lingo stacks up at http://www.popvssoda.com/.

What do you call cola?
Coke / Pepsi3173433%
Soda3159833%
Pop2552427%
Soft Drink27303%
Soda Pop15232%
Tonic10741%
Other7501%


Ok...it's me again.
Make sure you also visit this site: (also shown above)

http://popvssoda.com

4 comments:

The Katzbox said...

Thank you!!! Yes, it's POP all the way. Out here in SoCal, I can't tell you the weird reaction I get. The Spanish speakers make me repeat myself over and over until I say soda. The guy at the deli here just rolls his eyes at me now...I get a little extra attention because he has a crush on my husband but nevertheless, he always just explains it to people as saying, "Oh, it's an Iowa thing"...whatev...I'm tired of saying OHIO OHIO OHIO. Great post!!!!!

Diane said...

When I lived out west...in Idaho AND in Washington, I just gave up explaining to people it was OHIO, not IOWA. Also, just about everyone seemed to think I lived smack on the east coast.

Michelle said...

Down yonder (Georgia) they say "Coke" for everything. Even if you want a Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper. How do people know what you really want if everything is Coke? I really throw them for a loop when I say "pop". They look at me like I am crazy! "Those Damn Yankees" I hear them mumble under their breaths.

The Katzbox said...

Ain't that the truth Shelly girl