Saturday, August 18, 2007

Beaches, Bridges and Bands





This past Wednesday morning, Megan left for Virginia Beach with her boyfriend, John, to go to a concert they have been excited about for a LONG time. It takes about 4-5 hours to get there. She called me while on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Traffic was very heavy, so they spent a little time on the bridge at either a standstill or a crawl. Megan could feel the vibrations in the bridge and could feel it "moving" a little (which is normal). She called me a little freaked out, especially with what happened a couple of weeks ago in Minneapolis, with the I-35W Bridge collapsing and people and cars falling into the Mississippi. It was devastating, watching the coverage. All we could do was pray. And Megan couldn't get it out of her mind while on the bridge.

But I told her this bridge was built much differently and is much newer. And that I actually love going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. It's a party! There you are, tooling along, enjoying the scenery, watching the ships and the gulls and then...."Hey, where's the road???? It looks like it is going to disappear into nothing! Wait, it is going to go under the water???? WHAT???? Are you NUTS???"
It really does look crazy the first time, until you get right up on it. But then, you simply go into a tunnel, and with a slight downward slope, you are surrounded by water on all sides of the tunnel. The tunnel goes on for quite a while....and then, you see the light....and soon, you are out of the tunnel and again above the bay. Whew!

What innovation!! Ships can travel right over the traffic in the tunnel. I love it. I think Megan calmed down a little and I helped her feel like it was an adventure.

Well, the adventure continued. They met up with John's mom from North Carolina, went to the beach for just a little while, and then went to the concert. The headliner was the Dave Matthews Band. She sent me some messages on my phone a few times, and we had fun sharing bizzare things that happened at the concert. She even sent me a little video over the phone of some crazy guy dancing like a maniac to the opening band. Only guy dancing. And when I say dancing, I mean he was getting down with his bad self. I love it that she thought to share the good times with me. Meggie said Dave Matthews was incredible.

I'm glad Megan got the break. She's been working so much, and I was so happy she had a great time.

2 comments:

Jette said...

Megan is so beautiful. I'm glad they had a fun time at the beach. I am so jealous....I would love to see DMB!! She's so lucky.

Michelle said...

WOW! That bridge is amazing but I would have been freaked out alittle too. DMB rocks! I told Meggie to call me when they played "Crash"! Keep bloggin' mama; It's so fun to hear what's going on in VA. Love you and miss you...ELEPHANT SHOES! By the way, tell Shane I said "HEY!"