Sunday, December 23, 2007

It's Been A While...





Wow....I can't believe it's been almost two weeks since I posted. I need to get better at keeping up. It seems like I don't even blog about some of the big things because I get so busy....and then want to write all about it...but can't find a minute. So...I'm just going to hit a few highlights and get back to some rhythm with this thing.

On December 13, Steph had a birthday. I invited Drew, Steph, Kimmi and Alli over for dinner that night. When they got here, I think she was a little surprised that Kelly and Josh weren't here. We opened a few presents...Drew and the girls had brought theirs over. We gave her a yummy smelling candle and the movie "The Holiday" which I knew she loved.

Then the girls and I went into the kitchen....and Drew and Steph were still in the living room....we called them in and began singing Happy Birthday to her. I put some candles in a cheesecake....I didn't have 31 candles, so put in a row of 3 and then 1 candle. Alli said in her adorable voice..."Mommy's not four!" (only it sounded more like "Mommy's not foh!")

Steph blew out the candles and then I told her, as I started lighting two tapered candles and putting out the crystal and plates, etc. for only two....that there was a little twist to the night.
I had cooked dinner for the two of them and it was all ready. I was going to take the girls to McDonalds, go pick up Josh at the concert, and then we would take them home and put them to bed. She was to enjoy her quiet candlelight dinner with her husband, and then watch the movie together. In a quiet house. She didn't have to be Mommy....just Steph and enjoy the evening with Drew.

It was really fun for me, too. The girls and I did a little Christmas surprise for some friends, we went to McDonalds, picked up Josh, and went to their house. Josh helped Kimmi with her spelling words and listened as she read a book. They tore off a paper ring off their countdown to Christmas chains. We listened to their sweet prayers.

Then....Josh and I got to sit and watch a little TV together. Then Kelly came and got Josh so he could get to bed....and I got to sit in the dark, quiet family room and watch some funny shows they had recorded. So....it was a great night for me, too. And Steph seemed very grateful. I love that girl. (Even tho' she's getting old)

More updates tomorrow.

4 comments:

dubby said...

31 is a lot better than 51!

The Katzbox said...

Happy birthday Steph!!!! And what a fabulous gift idea! That was so stinkin' clever!!! And it sounded like a win/win...perfect!!!

Queen Karana said...

What a fun idea. I'm sure she loved her gift.

Queen Karana said...

Hope everything is OK... I miss your posts.