Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Taking Time to Wipe My Glasses.....



Click here to read about The Wednesday Letters

Click here to read about The Christmas Jars




It was just a week ago. One week ago tonight.
And my heart has expanded, my insides have been warmed, my resolve has been strengthened. And to think I almost didn't go.

There are those little stops in the road of life that we need to drink in. So many times, I think I have failed to stop...just whizzed on by. Or if I did stop...I didn't look around very well, didn't listen, smell, touch, feel.
But then....a moment comes and you realize that this just could be it. A step up. A beginning. A call to do better. Sometimes, we do take the time to notice. To stop and wipe our every day glasses through which we see the world.....and our vision improves.

Such a stop came to me last Wednesday. I came in rather late from the office, and just wanted to stay home. But something inside me propelled me on to go to our church and see Jason Wright, an author whose books are on the New York Times Bestsellers List.

Allison L., a good friend of mine, had seen him on the Glenn Beck Show...and after she contacted him, he said he'd love to come talk to whomever might like to hear him speak. It was a "fireside", something like a spiritual "chat", not a promotion of his books.





I wish my family would have been there with me. His story of the Christmas Jars reminded me of something we've done for years. It began long ago...when my oldest kids were young. I'm going to keep that private, though, because it's so fun to be secret....and we plan on doing it again this year. Much joy, laughter, and warm feelings have come to our family as we have shared this little tradition of ours.

Jason spoke mainly of The Christmas Jars story....how it came to be, and some ways it has affected other people as he receives letters from all over. I loved how he talked about his father, and the great man he was. His dad died while Jason was in high school. He was a "giver" and greatly influenced others, especially Jason.

Listening to him inspired me to look outward more and to realize how very blessed my family is. How very blessed I am. Just today, I met a woman named Wendy who is having a tough time. I took the time to listen. I jotted a few things down. I have a few ideas of how I can help her......a few things I am going to pass on to her. Just because I was listening. Fun!

The Christmas Jar story is a story of love, of giving, of receiving with grace. I want to read the book out loud with our family when Megan gets home. And begin our own Christmas Jar.

The Wednesday Letters is also a terrific book. A story of forgiveness and redemption....and just plain fun to read.

Afterward, I was able to talk with Jason for a few minutes. He encouraged me in my writing....but more than that, encouraged me as a human being, as a daughter of God.

I'm glad I stopped last Wednesday. I can see a bit better now.


p.s. A question for my "techie friends" out there....why can't I get a hyperlink to work on my blog? I see them on others. Thanks.


4 comments:

Queen Karana said...

Well, I'm not sure why the hyperlinks aren't working on your blog - unless there is a step you are skipping... so here are the instructions. Give 'em a try, and if they don't work, well, then I don't know what the problem is.

So, step one is to start typing your new post. I know you know how to do that!

Step two is to add the hyperlink. For example, let's pretend you have a sentence that says "One of my favorite books is "The Christmas Jar" because it reflects the true meaning of Christmas."

So, if you want "The Christmas Jar" to be the hyperlink, select those words with your mouse.

Once those words are selected, look at the "menu" above the area where you are typing the new post. One of the icons looks like a chain... or a link.

Click that. A little box should pop up asking what address you want to direct too.

If the website was: www.christmasjar.com you would have to type the following:
http://www.christmasjar.com

The http:// part is VERY important. I'm guessing that's why your hyperlinks aren't working.

Click "enter" or "submit" or whatever the box makes you click on, and the little box will go away.

At this point you can finish typing your post and publish your blog.

And with luck, hopefully you will have a working hyperlink!

Diane said...

Karen is the COOLEST. I remember someone telling me this before now that you reminded me....but this old brain sometimes needs a jump start. Yay!! Thanks, Karen!!! It worked!!

The Katzbox said...

This was a great blog...I love the idea of wiping our everyday glasses and just tweaking our perspective the slightest bit to change the entire picture.

Listening with intention is pure magic...the Holy Spirit works miracles like that because our motives are pure and then the ideas pour into our minds and we are truly inspired...this entry just rocked!!! I'll even forgive the author for appearing on the Glenn Blech show... :)

Jason Wright said...

Diane, I am SO thrilled that you enjoyed the evening. You never really know how folks will react, but I'm so grateful you took the time to come and say hello after. Meeting good people like you makes this journey worth every mile. MERRY CHRISTMAS!