Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Birthdays for Brothers


Kelly and I both have "little brothers" who celebrate birthdays on October 21st. Kelly is the oldest of four boys. In birth order...Kelly, Mark, Corey and Bob. (But in this picture....it's Kelly, Bob, Corey and Mark. Go figure.) Well, it was Corey's birthday Sunday. He is officially old now. (I can say that because I'm two years older) He lives in Vancouver, Washington. He has a great wife, Terri, and two beautiful daughters. Corey loves to fish. And according to my father-in-law, Corey is one of the greatest fishermen in the Northwest. I don't doubt it. I've enjoyed his bounty before.
Corey's voice sounds EXACTLY like Kelly's. It's hilarious. He has quite a "colorful" vocabulary sometimes, and the kids' heads turn pretty quickly when they think it's their dad.
Kelly's brothers are a fun, crazy bunch. It is quite the party when they get together. Miss all you guys!


And my 'little brother', Ken also celebrated a birthday. I miss him tons and love to talk with him. He lives in a beautiful area northwest of Columbus. I love to visit there. His wife, Michele,was his high school sweetheart and I am absolutely crazy about his two boys, Ian and Nathan. I could hang out with them for hours and never stop laughing or learning.
Ken is the smartest person I know. I have said that for years and years. I've met lots of people and I still think it's true. I think it started when he was about six and would read our World Book encyclopedias and reference picture books for fun. He knows something about just about everything. Bring up anything...like... the history of Zimbabwe, or ham radios, or what made the Big Red Machine so great in the 70's, or New Zealand sheep. Just anything. You'll learn something. I promise. But he is a humble guy and you have to get him talking and then just listen. Just enjoy.
However, he is anything but a nerd. He's a sports nut, and likes a good fart joke better than just about anybody. I know this and love to listen to him tell jokes. I try and get him going and then just enjoy his laughter. I got him a gift a couple of years ago that I KNEW he would love. No question about it. And he did. It was a book of gross smells....it was a scratch and sniff book.
Yep...my smart brother is and will always be about 11 years old as far as his humor goes.
One more reason to love him. Happy Birthday Ken!!!

5 comments:

The Katzbox said...

Habby b-day Kelly and all the boys...Ken looks great and happy to hear Michelle is still well...and now I'm hungry for fresh fish....dang....

Anonymous said...

Sigh. I know about ham radios, kinda sorta. Guess I'm just chopped liver,

Diane said...

No, Debbie....chopped liver you definitely are not. :)

Diane said...

wait...maybe it is David? i know you REALLY know about ham radios! ok...so who is it? ;)

dubby said...

it was dubby