Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bells in Harmony




It has been a stressful day. You all know what I'm talking about. The kind where you just want to get home, pet your dogs, get some comfy pajama pants on and feel safe and warm in your cocoon. That is what I thought I needed tonight. But I was wrong.

I had to take our Young Women to hear one of them, Elizabeth, play in her middle school bell choir. And...it was absolutely great being with the youth. Somehow teenagers can lift me like no other group. (maybe because deep down, I'm still 14?) Anyway, it was so fun being with them.

The music was incredible. I've always enjoyed bell choirs, and this one has only been together about six or seven weeks. They were great! The melodies filled my heart. Afterward, Elizabeth taught me how to do a "wah-wah" with one of her bells. I think I'll just let you wonder about that one. I could have listened to lots more, but the concert was only about 25 minutes.

Then we all went back to the church and had fun planning together. I left happy and laughing. Josh, Pam and Mark were all talking outside. Then Josh got in the car, but jumped out to say something to Pam. Just then Mark came over to talk to me. I asked him when he was going to come over and hang out again. He said "How about now?" So we took off. We came right back, and Pam and Josh had grabbed some window writing markers from her car and were starting to write all over Mark's car. I shined my brights on them. Then Mark got out and they all started writing on my car. It was funny. (although I really don't think you are supposed to do that to someone's car when they are sitting behind the wheel WATCHING the whole thing!)

When we got home, Josh did a quick Algebra worksheet and we were just getting ready to read scriptures when Josh said someone knocked on the door. I didn't think so...because the dogs hadn't budged. But I went and looked anyway. There was Drew. He said "Someone order a pizza?" as he held out a box of hot Domino's pizza. He is "moonlighting" for awhile. So...after wearing a suit and being an insurance executive during the day...he dons the garb of the pizza dude and drives around Harrisonburg. I guess there was a mess-up and they had an extra pizza. Woo-hoo! He took a couple of pieces and left the rest for us. He stayed awhile and made us all laugh.

Then we read a little bit in John, had family prayer, and Josh went off to bed. Kelly went downstairs to watch a little of the Indians-Red Sox game.

I straightened up a little. And I realized I felt calm and content.

Anyway.....the point is.....sometimes just doing what we have promised to do brings great joy and peace. Even more than jammie pants.

3 comments:

meg said...

i liked this one a lot...

and ya know what, we should be so happy because... the gospel's restored!!

Diane said...

Yay! It's Megan! And you are right, sweetie. We have much to be happy about. love you!

The Katzbox said...

Ain't that the truth Megan! When we "lose our lives" we find them again. I agree with you Diane, it works like that every time with me...the hardest part about service is dragging my tired bottom out the door. Everything after that is cake!