Sunday, January 20, 2008

Just some Weekend Rambles

Friday night, Kelly, Josh, his friend Zach and I all went to the First Ward's Chili Cook-off. Drew invited us to come and be with them. It was nice. Hearing Bishop Herrick, Brother Aamodt and Brother Adams play Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" was a highlight. I enjoyed talking with some people I don't get to see that often, and of course being with Drew, Steph and the cutest little girls in the world was lots of fun. I got to hold little Henry Swinson for quite awhile. He is a fun little baby.

Afterwards Drew's family came over for awhile. Drew, Zach and Josh played "Rock Band" downstairs. It's an interactive video game....kind of like Guitar Hero, but there is a drum set, a guitar and vocals with a microphone. Just like you are actually playing in a band. Zach brought it over, along with his XBox 360, and it has been quite the hit. I had fun being with Steph and the girls while the guys played.

After they left, Kelly wanted to read awhile and I went downstairs and played with Josh and Zach. Made them popcorn and drinks. It was SO fun! We played until after midnight! I did vocals for 90% of the time. I had so much fun "rocking out" with the boys. I got a 100% on The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again." (of course, I set it on Easy) I even think Josh was a bit surprised that his momma could "get down" a little. He is incredible on the guitar and the drums. He plays on "expert" all the time. Amazing.

Yesterday I got to the post office just as it closed, but finally got gifts off for Ammon and Laurie. While hurrying there, I got behind a convoy of horse and buggies, must have been eight buggies. I passed the farm where they were all gathering. By the way everyone was dressed, and there seemed to be just order, not much talking or laughter, I think it was a gathering for a funeral. I love living in this valley. Sharing the land with the Mennonites....and others. Respect and appreciation. There is beauty in simplicity. I was happy to go slower and wait as the "clip-clops" turned into the farm driveway and I could "hurry along" in my machine (which doesn't make near the pleasant noise that horse's hoofs make on the street).

Met the nicest trash man. Seriously. Not just a guy getting his job done...but a really nice, helpful, happy man. Gifts come from all places.

Had an interesting "discussion" with our elderly next door neighbor. I think his wife remembers what it's like to be a teenager, but he has totally forgotten.....if he ever was one. We did make amends, though. I want to be on good terms with all around me.

Megan called from the car to tell me they probably won't get service where they are going this weekend. Her friend, Randi, who goes to school at BYU-Idaho, came down to Provo with her roommates. I guess one of her roommates' uncle has a mountain cabin in Scofield, Utah. It's about two hours from Salt Lake City. So.....the four girls are driving up for a fun weekend since they don't have school on Monday. Megan is going to try snowboarding for the first time. So....hopefully, I won't get any news of any injuries. It's hard letting them grow up......but I'm trying. I miss Megan every day. She is doing great, though....and I am so happy for her to be doing what she wants to do.

Went to church this morning. Some days it just feels wonderful to sit at church with my husband. It felt like that today. He has been busy a lot during Sunday School lately....but today we got to sit together for class, and I loved it. I like that guy. Stayed after church for choir...then came home and mixed up a tuna casserole. I haven't made one for awhile and it just sounded yummy. I made it up as I went, doing some real different things with it....so I am anxious to see how it tastes. Tonight we are going to a Youth Discussion at Church with Josh.

Then....we are going to watch a movie together since there is no seminary tomorrow. I think we are watching Mr. Deeds. Because of the snow days Thursday and Friday, they have to go to school tomorrow (it had been scheduled off for MLK Day) They will have exams Monday and Tuesday with early release at 1pm and then off on Wednesday for a Teacher Work Day.

Kelly is napping with the dogs...and Josh is out in the snow for awhile....and I think I'm going to actually sit down and read awhile. Just relax. Yep....you heard me.

3 comments:

dubby said...

Nice life. I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

Hello my Virginia friends. I LOVE to read your blog. You are such a great writer. Your writings bring such peace to me.
Congrats on being grandparents again....twice.

Diane said...

Heather...
My adopted southern daughter!!!
How are you?? I didn't know you read this thing. I'm so glad you are next door to Michelle. Gives this momma some comfort..to know she has such a good friend so close by. You both are lucky. :)
Y'all take care...and I love it that you commented! You are welcome at my house or in my blog anytime, ok?