Thursday, June 4, 2009

Josh in the Driver's Seat!



My last one. My baby boy. My Joshie. How in the world did THIS happen?
I blinked, and now here he is, proud owner of a 15 year old's prized possession ~ THE Learner's Permit. I've been through this six times now. It still chokes me up a little. One more step away from mom. But I'm so happy for him, too. I was sitting at the DMV waiting for him to take the test, and when he started walking towards me, he tried to fake it. He shook his head, and I wondered for a moment, because Josh seems to smirk a little when he's disappointed, but he was trying to suppress a big old grin. He said, "just kidding...I passed". And even though the DMV was CROWDED (we picked the LAST business day of the month to go. Yes, I know, real smart) I wanted to cheer for him. He was so happy. It reminded me of each time one of our children would get their permit. It was like the world was opening up for them. And I was there to just help them along.
It was a busy Friday afternoon when he passed, and we wanted to stop by the music store, so he could get an amp cord and some guitar picks for his friend Zach's birthday party that night. He hesitated, but he drove. And he did really well. He must have felt grown up too, because he asked the owner of the music store if he was hiring. Just out of the blue. The manager might be interested when Josh turns 16 in August. He likes to hire his customers, who know the store, and he has seen over the years.
Josh has driven everywhere we've gone since then. He's doing great. Me? I'm not so sure.

These "lasts" are really hard.

2 comments:

My Life, as it goes on! said...

It is hard to believe that he is growning up! Miss you guys!

Jessica said...

Cool hair...