Saturday, May 2, 2009

Late Night Thoughts

One year. 365 days. It was one year ago today that we had to make the tough decision to put our dog Shammie down. (well, technically yesterday, since it's after midnight now)
It was so hard. Kelly and I held her at the end, and she looked up at us with eyes full of love and let us know it was OK.
The vet assured us we were doing the right thing. But, this dog....well, I'm too tired to write it all, but she was amazing. An absolute gift to our family.
It would also be her 14th birthday today. I miss you, girl. Sometimes when I wake up, I still expect you to be asleep on the floor right beside my bed. Thanks for all the love.



Last year, Drew, Steph and Kimmi and Alli were staying with us for a few months. They were here when we had to say good-bye to Shammie. The girls really loved this dog. Well, I got up and was ready for work the next morning. Came out to the kitchen and put a smile on my face. As I was leaving, the girls were eating breakfast. Kimmi (who was seven at the time) came over and hugged me and gave me a paper she had been working on. She said, "Grandma, I wrote this for you."

She wrote:

A STORY OF SHAMMY
Shammy was a good dog. When Magen was 5, Shammy could run faster than Sloopy. Magen is a person and she is a teenager. Sloopy is a dog. He is very big, and he is 2 and a half years old. Shammy is in heaven now. It was her birthday. She turned 91 years old. Going to heaven is her birthday present. Shammy got to see her Mommy!! Shammy must be happy. So should her Mom. I love Shammy.
The End

(I do too, Kimmi. I do too. And thanks for the treasure)

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Other thoughts:

I went and spent time tonight with a friend that just had open heart surgery on Wednesday. It was incredible to think about and talk about what modern medicine can do. I felt a great spirit of gratefulness and sisterhood in her hospital room with her. I took some beautiful pink petunias I found at WalMart and put in a basket. I told her when she got home I'd come over and plant them. (I didn't want to bring something that she would have to watch die over the next week) Anyway, my heart is filled with gratitude that there is knowledge on the earth to repair something as intricate as a heart, while being kept alive by machines during the surgery. I'm so happy, Barb. You are on your way.
While I was there, a good friend, Br. Larsen, came to visit, too. It was nice spending time together. He gave her a blessing of comfort before we left. One phrase he said is especially sticking with me....he was talking about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and how she is "nestled in their arms".
And I have been thinking - those arms are for us all.
All
of us...whose hearts are "broken" too.

2 comments:

The Katzbox said...

I like the image of being nestled in Heavenly Father's and the Savior's arms...I like that a lot...and while being nestled there, I like the idea of a warm, fuzzy friend being near by, waiting to be petted and played with...and smiling...

Heather O'Pry said...

What a great post. I have a kitty cat that I know her time is coming soon. I have had her since she was a kitten and it tears me up to know that her time is almost near. Thank you for the encouragement! Diane you are such a good writer and I love to read your blog.