Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Weekend Thoughts

ok...so it's the wee hours of Wednesday morning, but I thought I'd write just a few ramblings about last weekend.
Friday night, Josh played in the tennis match between Turner-Ashby and Harrisonburg. He and Shane played the second doubles team from Harrisonburg High School. They lost 7-10, but Josh felt like it was a win because they were playing the second best team at Harrisonburg. He was so excited about the match.
Took him to his friend Tyler's house to spend the night. There were four guys spending the night, and they had a great time...playing pool, "jamming", etc. I got an urgent call around 11:30 p.m. from Josh asking me to bring over his bongos. I did, and it was fun seeing him so happy. I had some time to myself, because Kelly was down at Drew's house. He had a meeting down there that day, and really enjoyed spending some time with Drew and his family. So I stopped by Walmart for some pink petunias and went to the hospital to visit my friend.


Saturday morning I got out a little late for the "Belmont Garage Sales", a semi-annual event our subdivision puts on. It's quite a party.
This pic was taken a little late in the festivities, and things had died down quite a bit. I picked up a few little things, and the whole time I beat myself up because I need to HAVE a garage sale, not go to one. Just didn't have time to put it together. I was extremely sad that day too, because I talked to my daughters and all but Meggie were out going to garage sales too! Jessie, Laurie, Michelle and I....but no one was together. That just stinks. We went together on a Saturday last October and it was terrific. We need to do that again. I fought that "alone" feeling all weekend. It was bad. I did get a couple of cheap frames with some ugly pictures inside. I am going to try some ideas Michelle has on her blog. We'll see how that goes.

Then I ran down to my office on North 42 near the Harmony Square Shopping Center. The chiropractor who owns our building was putting on a big Kid's Fair. My boss wanted someone to dress up as the State Farm Good NeighBear (yep..you heard that right).
Well, at first Josh was going to do it, but he wanted to get to the garage sales, and he wasn't too excited to do it anyway. I called Brooke L., who is home from college this summer, and she was glad to do it. I just wanted to stop by and see how she was with it all. Well, no worries there! She was dancing up a storm, and usually had a little parade around her. I mean, this bear had some moves! Good job, Brooke!
Josh had a great Saturday going around the sales with a big group of friends. I met up with him to give him a few bucks. He was so excited. Found a couple of CD's....and a terrific find..."Look...it's a midget tennis racket!" (I had to tell him it was a racquetball racquet. I shouldn't have. He was kind of excited about this racquet for munchkins) He also found one catcher's leg shield...or whatever it's called. One. Not two. One. And he had it on. I asked him why. He said "Cause I like it." good answer. They ended up back at Tyler's house for pizza, more pool and he learned how to play poker. "don't worry mom...not with money". Michelle said she was learning how to play poker too. Interesting. Anyway, he had a great day. And even greater, when he realized it was raining when he got home, so he "couldn't" mow the yard.


The valley is looking gorgeous. Springtime in the Shenandoah Valley is only surpassed by fall in the valley. The dogwood trees are alive with color, so I snapped this picture along one of the streets around here. Soon the blossoms will fall, and the trees will all be various shades of green. A different kind of beautiful, but oh, I love the "crayola springs" around here.
I went to the store, cleaned out the fridge, cleaned the house from a week of me being at work, and made some chocolate chip cookies and chicken enchiladas. Kelly and I took some over to Barb's house, and then Kelly and I both went up to the hospital to visit her. It was nice. Her husband was there, and then the Shavers came, too. A little party in the hospital.
Sunday was nice. A peaceful day. It felt good to be at church. The sister missionaries asked when they could stop by, and I said "How about today for dinner?" I made tortellini soup and garlic bread for dinner. I had been feeling kind of down, and it was so nice to have them over. We got to have them for quite awhile, and we laughed, and ate, and talked. And they gave us a nice little lesson, too. It brightened me. Our home is meant to be full. I like it that way.
Late Sunday night, Kelly and I stayed up reading in bed, and just talking. It was nice to stop and spend a few minutes together. I think reading in bed is heaven. Double heaven when your husband is reading with you.
ok...so boring post, just felt like getting it down. sorry.


1 comment:

Ken said...

You know you've raised 'em right when the urgent call at midnight is simply a request for musical instruments! We miss you all...keep blogging regularly so we can stay caught up on things!