Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pinewood Derby Revisited

Last Friday night was the Annual Chili-Cookoff at Church. This brings a lot of people together, just enjoying each other, eating chili, and voting for the very yummiest. This is also the time of year for the Cub Scout's Pinewood Derby. Our ward's Cub Scout troop consists of two boys...which doesn't amount to much of a race, especially for a number of various prizes. So....it was decided to combine the two events. An added plus....anyone who was coming to the Chili Cookoff was invited to dust off a Pinewood Derby car and bring it along for the fun.

I made a pot of chili the night before, and let it cook in the crock pot most the day on Friday. I got home from work Friday a little late, hurried and changed, Kelly grabbed my "winning" pot of chili, and we hopped in the car. Zach (Josh' best friend, and my "adopted" son) was over and was spending the night, so he came with us. I mentioned to them as we were pulling out of the driveway about being able to bring cars, and that we should have thought of that. Well, within two minutes they had run inside, grabbed a couple of Josh' old Pinewood Derby cars and were back in the car.

We got to church and found that most had already eaten their first round of chili. :(
I put mine on the table anyway. #17. Megan and her friend Andrew showed up, too. I was really glad they came. People sampled the various chili dishes and then voted for their favorite. Josh and Zach voted for #22 numerous times. (by the way, there was no #22...they are just weird) And yes, they each voted for #17, too. And...guess what?????? My "winning" chili did not win. It didn't come in second or third either. Oh well.

The Derby was about ready to begin. Josh and Zach were working at the prep table, adding some graphite..and making sure the old wheels would turn around. (see picture above)
I enjoyed watching my 15-year old, doing the things he did as an 8 year old. And...with his old Scoutmaster, Seth Stratford, by his side. Zach was having fun, too. Josh had his silver and scarlet OSU Buckeye car, and Zach was using Josh' very unique Spiderman car.


I am so glad Zach and Josh are buddies. They are simply fun together. They make me laugh. Both totally crazy, by the way. They seem to love the same things. Especially music. I love Zach's mom, Michelle, too, which is a big bonus. Some friendships seem to just click. And these guys definitely do. So..I usually claim another son...my "son" Zach.

They raced against other cars, eliminated some, and kept racing. Finally it was down to Josh' OSU car and one other. The fastest car of the evening???? It was Will Halling's....who was so excited. But Josh was pleased. He came in second place overall for speed and also won "Best Paint Job".


After we moved here from Ohio, Josh got to know Josh Stratford. "Little" Josh really loved being around Josh, started calling him "Big Josh". So..."Big Josh" and "Little Josh" were buds. Especially swimming buddies in "Little Josh's" backyard swimming pool.
Now "Big Josh" is even bigger, and "Little Josh" isn't so little anymore. I thought how cool that they had a Pinewood Derby together. This is the only way it could have happened. Here they are with their cars and their "trophies".
Winners......"Little Josh" and "Big Josh"

Oh...and by the way, I still have some chili. Come on by and share some "Loser Chili #17".

1 comment:

The Katzbox said...

I sent in my absentee ballot for #17...really!...it must have been routed through Ohio or Florida...man! those states NEVER get the votes right!!!!

I'm glad you had fun. Those days were a blast...I miss having hot soup and good chili...it's just too warm here for that...ALL THE TIME!!!! I'm looking forward to moving to a higher elevation in the spring so we can have some of that...hopefully we'll have a bigger house, which means rooms for visitors...HINT HINT....I mean it!!!! close to Disneyland....the ocean...the moutains...Hollywood (oh puhleese, do NOT let us loose in Hollyweird)...Old Towne San Diego...we could have a blast...I'm just SAYIN' is all....think about it....